Simply Life

Our Simple Raw Life...A Natural Journey Of Creation

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Magical Skin




So lately I have been very obsessed with what I put on my skin. This includes my clothes, my detergent I wash my clothes in, my belly lotions, my soaps, and even the shampoos that I wash my hair with. The skin is the largest organ on the body and it absorbs everything through its many many pores. I have been thinking so much about the skin of my newly forming baby's body and how everything I use on my skin is being absorbed into my bloodstream and into my precious little Amazing one.

Yes, that is the babies name "Amazing" We simply can't think of another name!

Anyhoo, back to the skin. So I have gutted out all my products and either created my own or found great safe ones that I am going to share.



 Lets start with Shampoo-
I have searched many products for good shampoo and even made my own which is nice but some people will find it hard to get use to because it doesn't lather too much, I'll post a recipe for scaly scalp in my tutorial. The products I have found that are amazing with no sulfates (lathering agent), parabens, preservatives, MEA, DEA, or dyes. All these are useless in shampoos. My ultimate favorite is "DermOrganic" shampoo and conditiner both contain Argan oil which is great for repairing hair and leaving it incredibly shiny. I also found one from sally's beauty supply that is cheap and free from sulfates, parabens, silicones, DEA, MEA, or dyes. The brand is "Zotos- pure elements". "Desert Essence" and "Avalon Organics" and "Nature's Gate" all carry lines of chemical free shampoos and conditioners.
              -Keep in mind you won't do much good avoiding harmful shampoos if your water is full of chlorine and other hard water minerals. So from spriteshowerfilter.com you can find a filter that screws on your showerhead and filters all the chlorine and hard minerals out of your water. Just think about all those lovely relaxing baths you take and how much your skin is soaking in chlorine and hard minerals. Those are all being absorbed into your skin...and for the mommies their babies skin.-

Body Lotion-
Being pregnant I am keeping my belly and boobs and hips nice and lathered all the time to help with elasticity as well as maybe keep away stretch marks some. I have found my favorite and most trusted to be straight up "Coconut Oil" I mix vitamin E and lavender essential oil to the coconut oil in a large container and I lather up twice a day. Smells so good, watch your pets they love this stuff!

Soaps-
I will someday be a pro at making my very own bars of soaps but until I get my goats and borrow their milk these companies have made me smile with their yummy body soaps.
"ZUM Bar" makes wonderful soaps with shea butter, glycerin, and essential oils of many different fragrances. Also, "Bronner's Castile" soap is awesome for making household cleaners and to use as a body wash, it comes in a bar of soap as well. I like the homemade soaps I find at farmers markets and I tend to stock up everytime I go, so step out to your local market and see what the locals are making for soap, usually it will have less than 5 ingredients thats how you know its awesome!

Laundry Detergent-
Best company I have found is "Rockin Green" detergent. It is made with 6 ingredients and they specialize their formula for cloth diapers that go directly on the babies bum. Yes, I will be using cloth diapers so detergent without any harmful chemicals is a must. Check them out at rockingreensoap.com.
But you can make your own too with Borax, castile soap, rosemary, washing soda, distilled water, and essential oils. Check it out in my tutorials.

I hope you love your skin as much as I do and take some time to make small changes to your routine and products. Remember everything that is harmful on you is also very harmful to our environment getting into our ground water and contaminating our water systems and the earth. Take pride in your personal care and it helps care for the planet.
~t



No comments:

Post a Comment