Simply Life

Our Simple Raw Life...A Natural Journey Of Creation

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Cleaning Homemade Products


This past week the sun has been so kind to us. We have had perfect weather with just the right amount of rain.  My seeds are planted, outside, and all have already produced shoots above the ground, yippee. I moved indoors to do some spring cleaning, I looked at some of the cleaning products JJ had around his house and I knew I needed to once again create, simplicity.
Pregnancy and toxic house cleaners, don't mix.  In several of my books I have read a thing or two about avoiding certain cleaners while doing the nesting routine. Our skin is our largest organ and we absorb everything into our body from its lovely pores.  Toxic cleaners also put out fumes that we smell and absorb into our lungs and bloodstream and for those who are growing new life, it goes right to their precious growing body.  Everywhere I look there are toxins ready to jump out and get me.  From the basic window cleaner to toilet scrub. Even daily dish soap is filled with the toxic devils that I end up putting in my mouth and swallowing... YUCK!
SO...
I headed to a spring cleaning seminar and got some homemade cleaning advice. Little did I know how easy and CHEAP making your own cleaning products are. Even much cheaper and less ingredients then the green brands you see on the shelves and you can use the same bottle over and over again reducing your carbon footprint, oh what joy to rid that footprint.  I have made RAW all-purpose cleaner that smells awesome (JJ even used it today to take the mildew smell out of his wristwatch, yes he likes the vinyl band watches), I made laundry detergent that is great and makes the clothes soft and bright. I made mouthwash, shampoo for dandruff, disinfectant, window cleaner, carpet deodorizer, etc.
...and now I am going to share them with you!

First off, you need some basic products that you can find and your local grocery store or health food store. Keep in mind that once you buy these staples you can make batches and batches of products saving sooo much money and all are toxic-free...ahh, that just sounds so good to my body!



For your start up shopping list:

-Distilled White Vinegar-baking isle
-Borax, 20 mule team (that says it all)-you can find this in your laundry detergent isle.
-Washing Soda (NOT baking soda) arm and hammer makes one-also in laundry detergent isle.
-Baking Soda (the kind in the orange box, yeah the real stuff)-in the baking isle.
-Bronners Castile Liquid Soap-at health food stores and some natural sections in the grocery store.
-Dish Soap-this goes a long way get a good green brand I have one pictured on the right with 5 ingredients only. The Seventh Generation brands have way too many ingredients, I've found this true for all their products.

-Bar Of Handmade Soap or Fels-Napha-again less ingredients the better, soap should be made with a fat, a fragrance of oil, and maybe some healing herbs all the other stuff is CRAP. You can find homemade soap at any health food store and fels-napha in the laundry detergent isle. (Remember soap goes directly on you skin or in this case on your clothes that go on your skin)
-Hydrogen Peroxide-I use a food grade 35% with no preservatives or impurities and dilute it but a simple 3% over the counter grade in the grocer pharmacy will do fine.
-Lemons-With the fruit, silly.
-Essential oils- I choose peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, lemon, sweet orange, lemongrass, lavender. For reasons i'll discuss later.  Found at health food store. These cost the most but go very far!!
-Funnel, recycled bottle, or any spray bottle and storage containers.



From here we CREATE!!! I will show you how to make many products from these basic ingredients and what they all work best on.

The "DIY Tutorial" up top has all the recipes and methods listed there.

I am separating them in different pages so when I get my blog better organized they will all have their individual links. Thanks for your patience.

~t







No comments:

Post a Comment